Our feature this week is an interview by Amit Chopra who talked to Gordon Blair on IoT and environmental science.
- 00:32 Brainwave Authentication
02:14 Quiz Questions
- 03:18 Introduction
- 03:40 How did you start off working on Distributed Systems?
- 05:15 What are some of the challenges that face today’s network engineers?
- 06:07 What is the source of this complexity?
- 07:18 Interoerpability is a big challenge.
- 08:00 What would be a system of systems?
- 09:17 We need these massive systems to address some of the biggest problems of society nowadays.
- 10:10 Are IoT and cloud computing crucial building blocks in solutions that address these problems?
- 11:10 Is the problem of IoT the lack of software engineering methodologies designed for it?
- 12:30 Is security a critical challenge that needs to be addressed?
- 13:30 What’s the way forward to addressing the problems of trust and security?
- 14:30 Can you talk a bit about your fellowship?
- 15:40 Do the scientist you are working with have access to data centres to carry out the simulations?
- 16:50 What kind of scientists are you working with?
- 17:17 How do these scientists communicate? How is modeling done?
- 18:12 Is the project also going to look into the Data Science aspects of data curation?
- 19:02 How has the field changed in the last thirty years?
- 19:56 What principles of the field will carry us forward in the next ten-twenty years?
- 20:40 Is using more declarative languages something that interests you?
- 21:45 Which of the many projects was the work that gave you the most satisfaction?
- 22:45 What is computational reflection and what does it mean for adaptation?
- 24:08 How would you advise younger researchers on approaching problems?
- 25:00 Interview outro
25:28 Quiz Answers
Crew for this episode:
- Chris Banks
- Stan Manilov
- Andrew McLeod
- Amit Chopra
- Pavlos Petoumenos
- Hugh Leather
- Prof Gordon Blair